Saturday, September 27, 2008

P.S. (see below first)

If I was bothered by your question, then I would say the following:
It is very possible that the God was made up by humans, since the idea of His existence and His caring about the happenings of the world, and especially the afterlife, are very comforting. However, the comfort of being a believer is much stronger in some other religions, especially Christianity, than it is in Judaism. We spoke last Shabbos about cases in which halachik lifestyles are often not healthy nor comforting. In fact, they can sometimes be quite the opposite.
Personally, though, I never get insulted or bothered when people make derogatory statements about religious Judaism. This is mostly because they are things I used to think myself. However, the only comments I get from non-religious people that actually frustrate me are ironically the comments that people make when they're trying to be nice. I often hear things like "[religious observance is not necessary but...] if that's what you need for your inner peace, then good for you." Or, "everyone needs something to believe in." I don't hold it against the people who say these things, since not only do they not no any better, but they also mean to be nice. However, the fact is that this prevailing view of religion (which may have been caused by Christian influence) is very far from the truth when it comes to halachic Judaism. I would elaborate on this more, but Rav Soloveitchik is a better writer than I am, and he goes on a tangent about this for a while (See footnote 4-I think- in Halakhik Man).
But I am curious what Shoshi thinks about this religion being for comfort issue, since she believes in a comfort level for halachik observance. Please do respond (and yes, I will have follow-up questions on whatever you decide to say). Liat was actually never really said clearly what she thinks about comfort and halacha. Sooo, although I'm not so bothered by the question posed (see my previous post), I am very interested in what Liat thinks about the following questions: Is Halacha for comfort? Should we only do it if it's comfortable? If it's not comfortable, how important is it to try to make it comfortable? etc...
-Shavua Tov

No comments: