Saturday, September 20, 2008

Under Construction

"To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating yourself endlessly" (Anonymous).

In most aspects of life, we face the option to join various sorts of "teams." We are able to chose our religious affiliations, our political parties, our favorite sports teams, etc. This is a precious, thrilling freedom, but it is one that can easily become overwhelming.

The world is so full of (often conflicting) ideas and philosophies... how can we chose just one?

As for me, I often feel tempted to join the teams into which I was born, by willing myself to agree with these groups' perspectives on all issues. Interestingly, some accuse those who make this decision of "taking the easy way out," while to others it may seem like an impossible task. Either way, should we waste our ability to form our own opinions by adopting those that have been formed by others?

I have created this blog and named it "Souls Under Construction" because I have asked myself the above question and answered it in the negative. At times, forcing myself to agree with the opinions I hear around me seems like it would make my life so much easier. But at the same time, I know (from experience) that as hard as I try, I will never be able to do that.

So, as difficult and uncomfortable as it may be to ask oneself the tough questions, I decided a long time ago that I would do just that. I have pledged to answer truthfully when I can. When I'm stumped, I hope I will be brave enough to admit it. And when yesterday's answers seem wrong, I will ask the question again.

I invite you all to do the same. I invite you to go on "creating yourselves endlessly," because after all, to exist is to change. It is to find the courage to declare yourself "under construction."

No comments: